Pub History

The Red Lion is one of the oldest established riverside pubs in Shepperton, situated between Sunbury and Chertsey, on what was, for many years the main road in the parish. The oldest part of the pub lies back from the road and is now used as our ‘Snug’. This was the building occupied by the first known licensee, Robert Reed, between 1722 and 1730. In 1864, when the railway came to Shepperton, this little riverside pub saw a roaring trade from people coming down from London at the weekend to spend time on or near the River Thames. It was around this time that the Shepperton & Halliford Regatta commenced and took place in front of the pub largely down to the influence of Edward Rosewell the landlord at the time.

The pub expanded in the late 1950s to incorporate Eyot Cottage, which was home to the Rosewell/Rixon boating business, which let boats and operated a ferry from the ‘shore’ next to the Red Lion riverside garden. Refurbishment of this garden will be completed in spring 2015.

glasses